Summergrove Halls is aptly named to reflect the Georgian Mansion House which formerly stood on the site.
With records dating back to before 1760 the house was considered to be the best Georgian residence in the county. The Mansion was occupied by several key people in area including Carlisle Spedding, an architect of some distinction, who designed St James’ Church in Whitehaven.
Following World War II the house was sold and split into flats. Two subsequent house fires resulted in the original building falling into disrepair and eventually being demolished, although some of the original features such as the sandstone entrance gates still remain today.
The current building was constructed in the 1980’s by British Nuclear Fuels as an accommodation facility for 120 graduates and professional residents working on the site. Opened in1982 the facility provided short and long term accommodation for BNFL staff and contractors and was one of the best facilities of its type in the county.
The facility was latterly used as a hotel for business residents and the general public, hosting conferences, parties and weddings eventually closing in early 2012, before being given a new purpose thanks to the support of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and partners.